Thursday, June 18, 2009

My Dad, William Ward Heal


June 18, 1919 my dad was born. He would have been 90 years old today. He left this world way too early at age 62. I have been thinking of how much different his life would have been had he lived to see this day.
It was just months after dad died that I married my one true love, and I know he and Ed would have really enjoyed knowing each other. Dad's famous fishing rock at Vivian Park on the Provo river was where they would spend hours getting to know each other, and talk of their many ' fish stories'.
He would be taking not only his two daughters to the annual Provo Rotary 'Daddy Daughter Date' but most likely accompanying several granddaughter's and great granddaughter's, all in their Cinderella attire, to that special event we so looked forward too.
He would have to include a few more dozen eggs and sausage to provide for the many family members he would be cooking for, at our Canyon Glen family breakfasts. And the roaring fire he would build, surely provided the warmth and atmosphere to stage his many life story's, we would be 'all ears' to hearing.
He would be teaching his great grand children the famous 'Heal whistle call'. And tell them how he would whistle, to call his kids to supper or when he wanted them to come home.
He would be enjoying his later years with the love of his life, 63 years still trying their act in singing and harmonizing together. He would be loving the spring rain and beautiful rose garden that his sweet wife tends and cares for.
And it was the little things that he always enjoyed most, the 'one on one' lunch dates with his kids, or a hand written note to someone always expressing his love or appreciation. The simple phone call to say hi and catch up on each of our busy lives.
He would be preparing to go to his 90th birthday party, for which he always looked forward to sharing another family get-together. He would be enjoying the many hours playing and watching his children, grandchildren and great grandchildren pamper him and dote over him.
Yes, there is much he missed in this life, but I bet there isn't an occasion or a moment in each of our lives that goes by, he's not living it along with us!! We, love you Dad, Happy Birthday!

6 comments:

  1. We must think of the same things....after all we are identical twins. I was going to go home and post the same picture of Dad and do a little tribute to him on my blog but....you did it for me and it was perfect. Thanks TeeTee, we did have a good life with our dad while it lasted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well said. I wish I would of gotten to know him in this life. I was three when he passed and don't remember much about him. I do have pictures of him holding me though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was touching Steph! I sure wish he were still here meeting Nick and myself and of course our four children. We will have a lot to catch up on when we eventually head up north. I have a feeling I would have really liked your dad!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a nice tribute Steph! Thanks for sharing. I wish we had known him. I think I get glimpses of him every now and then in Jeff... from what I hear. I think Grandmother should write a book about him so we all know the stories he speaks of better.... or maybe you, Christie, and Tom should do it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! What a fabulous tribute. The only way I have gotten to know him is by scanning pictures (that I borrowed from Grandmother)into the computer. I wish I could have been around the bonfire you described to listen to his life stories though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's the cutest picture of your Dad. I always remember your dad being so sweet with me when I was in your home. I remember him having a great sense of humor and teasing us a little here and there. I sure miss my Dad also. But, I know he's not to far away, he's always around.

    ReplyDelete

Matriarch - Muriel Heal Bywater

Matriarch - Muriel Heal Bywater
(2002) snow party picture of mom NEVER TOO COLD OR TOO OLD TO JOIN IN THE FUN!

Jen and Caden (14 months)

Jen and Caden (14 months)
this is one of my favorite of the earlier snow party's

The Parcell's (Feb 2008)

The Parcell's (Feb 2008)
another one of my favorites!

Ed's Snow Taxi (Jan 2009)

Ed's Snow Taxi (Jan 2009)
"All Aboard" Ed hauls another load up the top of the hill for a sleigh ride down

Colton, McKenzie, Carson, & Caden

Colton, McKenzie, Carson, & Caden
(Dec 2002) soooo cute and then they grow up

Sparky, Jeff and Ellen Johnson Dec 1992

Sparky, Jeff and Ellen Johnson Dec 1992
I love tthis one! I think Sparky loved it as much as anyone.

Jeff Johnson and Sparky

Jeff Johnson and Sparky
(2004) the last snow party Jeff attended, we'll always remember this one especially

Sam, Jessica, & Rocky

Sam, Jessica, & Rocky
(Jan 2009) "the Arizonian's visiting Utah's snow country

Cody and Dick Pearce

Cody and Dick Pearce
"now there's two of a kind" (Jan 2009)